We are delighted to announce that we are sponsoring the first ever Festival of Churches. The Festival will take place across Herefordshire, Shropshire and Worcestershire and will include activities at more than 200 historic churches over the weekend of 14 and 15 September.
The Festival is described as two days in which to enjoy events and activities in the life of a church or chapel near you. As well as a sense of fascination, awe or a deep sense of peace, the Festival organisers say that the weekend is an opportunity to explore and celebrate:
- incredible stories of politics, intrigue and courage
- objects, relics and curiosities that have been hidden away
- an open book to our heritage and history
- family history, records and local memories
- the wonderful wildlife of the churchyard
- dedicated and skilled people who can help you unlock the story of their church and community.
The Festival of Churches is being organised and promoted by several local groups: Herefordshire Historic Churches Trust, Shropshire Historic Churches Trust, Herefordshire Churches Tourism Group, Shropshire Churches Tourism Group and the Dioceses of Hereford, Lichfield and Worcester. Part of the Festival’s purpose is to raise funds for the Historic Churches Trusts which help fund repairs when churches need money for their historic and sometimes costly buildings.
We are very excited about the Festival and all the activities that are being organised. The weekend provides a valuable opportunity to engage with our churches and connect with them more strongly. In doing so we can enrich both our own lives and the lives of our communities.